Should you suffer any loss while at sea or docked, Alliance Marine Risk Managers is here to assist you. Our team shares your passion for boating, and we understand how much your yacht means to you. We make it our priority to help get your vessel back to ship shape and seaworthy in no time!

What to do if...


The vessel has hurricane damage
  1. Do everything you can to mitigate additional loss and protect property.
  2. If the vessel is taking on water, take immediate action to keep water from coming in.
  3. Notify your agent.
  4. Take photo evidence of the damage.
  5. Find a repair facility. Before any work is done, a surveyor should examine the boat and guide you on a course of action.
 I’m involved in a collision with another vessel
  1. Take photo evidence and immediate observations.
  2. Note what happened in the ship’s log.
  3. Notify the Coast Guard or relevant marine authority of the collision.
  4. If the vessel is not in seaworthy condition, set the anchor or call for towing assistance; make sure everyone is safe.
  5. Notify your agent.
There’s an oil spill in a marina originating from my vessel
  1. If your vessel has a separate pollution cover, typically from a professional company like WQIS (Water Quality Insurance Syndicate), call their toll free number and they will take immediate action.
  2. Owner and/or crew should take every possible precaution to avoid additional loss and mitigate spill.
  3. Check if the marina has boom equipment to surround the spill and oil towels to absorb it.
  4. Notify your agent.
There’s been an accident with an injured party aboard the vessel
  1. Tend to the injured party: Do everything you can to mitigate the injury and calm the injured party.
  2. If there is a medical log, the medical officer should record the time and date of the loss and what happened.
  3. Notify your agent as soon as possible.
  4. If it’s a minor injury, save all medical receipts and submit them to the underwriters. It is uncontested and the company will reimburse you.
  5. If it is a substantial injury and there’s third party liabilities involved, a surveyor will be assigned to interview you and may take statements.
  6. Once there is an attorney involved, the agent will no longer be part of the claims process.
I am taking on water at sea
  1. Locate the source of water intrusion.
  2. Dive and plug the hole if possible; the boat should carry Belzona foam, an underwater epoxy.
  3. If you are taking on more water than your bilge pumps can handle, call a Mayday and notify anyone within visual by VHF, flags or flares.
  4. Secure all persons on board.
  5. Call any outside source like a tow company to mitigate additional loss.
My vessel sinks at the dock
  1. Immediately shut off shore power.
  2. Call a tow or salvage company.
  3. Employ a boom to mitigate any oil spill.
  4. If the boat is already on the bottom, call the insurance company before calling a salvage company. They typically will have an arrangement with a specific tow/salvage company.
  5. Document what you did and why you did it.
Lightning has struck my vessel
  1. Examine every part of the boat.
  2. Lightning has a tendency to exit the boat below the waterline, so the examination should include all thru-hulls: all seacocks, shafts and shaft logs.
  3. Do not discard any nonworking electronics. The insurance company has the right to examine all damaged equipment and make the determination whether the equipment is repairable or replaceable.
There's a hurricane coming
  1. Relocate out of the storm path if possible.
  2. Take all precautionary measures. All insurance companies require a windstorm plan; if you deviate from the plan, the companies we represent do not obligate you to notify them. If you have the time, you can notify us.
  3. Do what you deem is prudent to get the vessel ready for a windstorm.
My vessel has been stolen or vandalized
  1. Notify the authorities.
  2. Make a local police report. Be sure to note on the police report if there is any forcible entry and take pictures.
  3. Notify your agent.
 My towed tender broke free
  1. Call it in to the Coast Guard or other marine authority.
  2. Put a marking buoy or beacon on it. Many tenders won’t sink and in a semi-submerged state, they become a hazard to navigation, which becomes a liability issue.
The vessel has machinery damage
  1. The insurance policy will pay for damage originating from external causes not due to lack of maintenance, so keep a log of all maintenance.
  2. Send your insurance agent any evidence of major work, such as an engine rebuild, for the agent to keep on file.

When in doubt, if you are ever concerned about claim or potential claim, please reach out to us and we will be glad to give you our expert advice.


Spencer Lloyd

Arlene Weicher

Kate Murphy